Wednesday, November 9, 2011

The Spirit of Giving

Every year Drew & I donate to non-profits. Sometimes it is a one time gift, sometimes it is a monthly donation. We've given to organizations like HRC, Oxfam, Vietnam Veterans, RAINN, Slow Food Denver, the Red Cross, and the Water Project. There is currently a giving campaign at work where they have asked us to consider donating whatever we are comfortable with to a local Colorado charity. I decided to contribute a portion of each pay check to two organizations: the Dumb Friends League and the Girl Scouts of CO.

The Dumb Friends League is an animal shelter and education center. They provide free and low cost medical care for animals of those less fortunate, care information, and rescue services for abused animals. It is where we adopted my parent's cat, Fred, and it is also where we took Gabe when he got sick. While he ultimately had to be put down, I have always appreciated how warm, understanding, and helpful they were- both to me and to Gabe at the time. His ashes were also sprinkled in a garden there. I felt like this was the least I could do to repay them for their kindness and honor Gabe's memory.

The Girl Scouts are an organization close to my heart. I spent 8 years as a scout, moving up through the ranks, and I have some wonderful memories of those experiences. More than anything though, I partially credit the Girl Scouts for showing me that it is cool to be a girl, that girls can be tough and adventurous, and that I should always be myself. I hope that if we have a girl one day she ends up a scout as well and I feel good supporting an organization that regularly does for thousands of other girls what it did for me.

Getting close to the holidays always puts me in a giving spirit. It is when I think most about society and how I can do my part. It is also when I tend to recognize how lucky I am and try to figure out how to help those who are not as fortunate or those who got me where I am. I think it's when I feel most human. While my contributions to these organizations will last all year, I hope to come up with some other good ways to give back, both now and in the future!

And, here is Griffin, completely unrelated. I just adore this picture. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment