Friday, November 11, 2011

on Veteran's Day

I find it hard to put into words exactly how I feel about our the military because I know in some ways it sounds conflicting. I consider myself to be very liberal. I am, for the most part, a pacifist. I do not condone war, though I do believe it is occasionally necessary (the unfortunate thing being I don't believe most of our recent wars have been necessary). That being said, I am also extremely patriotic. I love my country, I am proud of the place I live, the people I know. And I am beyond supportive of those who serve. The decision to leave the comfort of your home and family, even during peace time is not an easy one. To join during war time is bravery that I can not even comprehend. I truly believe that regardless of your political affiliation, your stance on the need for battle, or what your station in life is, these men and women are separate from all of that. Our military is not the same as the wars they are carried to. In those situations, they are simply doing their jobs. In enlisting, they are doing what they believe is right and honorable. They face pain and terror to ensure that our homes remain safe. And they are willing to lay down their lives to protect yours. How many of us can say the same?

On Veteran's Day I think of my uncle who died in Vietnam. My father, a proud Marine, who served bravely and lost a brother, his best friend. I think of my grandfather who was at Iwo Jima. Drew's grandfather who was an Air Force hero in WWII. We are fiercely proud of them and their service. And we are so full of respect and admiration for other Veterans we meet, young and old, that we are nearly star struck when we hear their stories.

While I was still working at DU, I had a graduate student who was earning his Ph.D while working as a high ranking Air Force official, teaching at the Air Force Academy and raising four kids. I met with him frequently as he completed his dissertation. I remember him coming in on one day in particular talking about he'd be deployed again soon but that it was going to be his last tour. I immediately thanked him for his service and told him how much it meant to me. He brushed it off and said he was just a regular guy, no hero. A few months later, one of my favorite professors came to me in tears. My student had been killed in Afghanistan. He was 44. Since that moment I've thought a lot about the day I thanked him. It was such a tiny gesture on my part, and one I even considered not saying out of embarrassment. I am so unbelievably thankful that I did.


So for my student, our family members, and all the other veterans in the country, I will always fly my flag on this day. I will always honor their memory. I will always say thank you.

There was a Veterans Day ceremony on campus today before work started. I made sure to leave home with more than enough time, so that I could stand in the early November fog, watch our flag be raised by our ROTC, many of whom are my current students, and listen to the national anthem being played by our band.



No comments:

Post a Comment