I love my job. I really, truly, honestly do. I can barely keep a smile off of my face when I talk about it, and while I love my work-life balance, going to work is never something I dread. This is literally the first time in the 12 years since I've graduated college that I can say that, and I feel beyond lucky.
Part of the contentment, I think, is that I am expected to consistently learn, grow, and develop. My opinion is valued now, and it will only be increasingly valued as I broaden and deepen my experience and knowledge base. In addition, I have been given some pretty significant responsibilities in which I am "the boss" as far as crafting, running, and implementing- all roads go through me. While that can mean additional stress (I am the person that gets held accountable!) it is also extremely exciting to see my vision being realized throughout campus.
I'm thinking of this today in particular because my day was such a random snapshot of what I do. I developed a training timeline and content for the 72 Peer Mentors that work for me. I rewrote a job description for the 35 faculty that I employ to teach Freshman Seminar. I compiled and sent survey data to the Core Curriculum board that I sit on. I did fund raising for our annual diversity event. I did an academic coaching session at a sorority house. I worked on a grant proposal that could mean increased retention for our underrepresented students. I attended a seminar on using technology and social media in Higher Education (and got SUPER jazzed up, by the way). I started writing curriculum for the academic success course I develop and teach to our readmitted students in the winter. And in between, I did my "regular" (and most rewarding) job of advising students. It was a lot- but at the end of the day, I leave feeling like I accomplished so much. And more importantly, I'm proud of what I accomplished!
So now, I don't have to look back at my years spent in jobs I hated with any sense of disappointment or regret. Everything- and I mean EVERYTHING- happens for a reason. It was all meant to bring me here! And I have total faith the "here" that I have right now is only going to lead me to bigger and better opportunities in the future. And now I can tell my kids without any hesitation or doubt, that if they work hard enough and they have enough faith in themselves, they will end up finding what they love to do too. What a beautiful thing.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment