Mines sponsored a health fair last week that included a free blood panel. While I've had my blood drawn a million times before for all kinds of tests, I've never had a full blood work up done with the results sent to me to interpret. In looking things over, I was initially pleased. My blood glucose looks good, my bad cholesterol was low and my good cholesterol was high. All the rest of my chemistry, platelets & other blood-like stuff was fine. And then, I noticed a comment: "Please note. Moderate macrocytosis detected." Whoa, whoa, whoa... what the hell is macrocytosis? I felt a twinge of worry, but figured if there was some issue, I would have known about it already. So, of course, I googled it. Yeah... one should never really do that. I learned that it is basically larger than normal red blood cells with a proportionate increase in hemoglobin. Causes range from benign to malignant. WAIT. What?! Causes can be loss of bone marrow, liver disease, cancer? So, I'm close to full blown panic mode & I call my OB. Turns out, another cause for macrocytosis? PREGNANCY. Every single pregnant woman gets it- its just that most of them don't have labs sent to them for blind perusal. It's completely harmless (and actually helps the baby) and it goes away shortly after birth. So there was my increased heart rate for the day.
My brother texted me today about Thanksgiving plans, and it just hit me that Thanksgiving is NEXT WEEK. I kept thinking it was weeks away. This fall is FLYING by. Insane. But now that I know, I'm super excited about it. My brother will be here for an entire week, I get several days off, and my favorite foods are in my future. Mmmm. Plus, all of this means the kick off to holiday ritual- my favorite time of the year!
And, in Things that Made Jess Cry news, here is yet ANOTHER reason I love my President. Who keeps it more real than this? Just wait till you get to about the 3:35 point, KILLS ME.
No comments:
Post a Comment