Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Awake and Pissed.

The picture above is an extremely rare phenomenon- Griffin NAPPING. He has never been a very regular daytime sleeper, especially on his own in a crib- but lately the problem has been even more pronounced. He has been REALLY cranky, spending much of the day crying. This wears him out and creates a never ending cycle of being overly tired and thus super emotional. I've done a LOT of reading about it and I'm pretty sure he's colicky. He has a few good days but his bad days are BAD and usually get worse in the early evening which is a typical sign. Sunday was awful as he went on several inconsolable crying jags. By the end of the day all three of us were exhausted. My research led me to some calming techniques I hadn't tried yet so I used them yesterday. They were a success in that whenever Griffin started crying, I could generally console him within 5-10 minutes. The problem was that I felt like I spent my entire day soothing him or trying to prevent a breakdown. The very worst was last night though when he shrieked nonstop from 1:30-4 am. I tried everything I could think of and nothing worked until he finally let out the biggest fart possible for a tiny baby, burped several times, and then passed out. Poor gassy kid, just like his dad.

But then today (knock on wood) was AWESOME. He spent the day smiling and cheerful, only crying when he really needed something. He took a nap this morning and he is in the middle of another as we speak. Unfortunately, I am also not a good daytime napper and though Drew is currently taking this opportunity to catch up on sleep, I just laid there staring at the ceiling until I finally got too bored. I know I'll regret this later.

In other news, we are currently trying to work with the church we love in Boulder to get Griffin baptised. This church was the first one we both felt completely comfortable in (and we've been to SEVERAL). If you read what they stand for here: http://www.firstcong.net/ under "Open Hearts" and "Open Minds", you'll see why. They are an extremely liberal, spiritual but not dogmatic group, very open to all creeds, backgrounds, and orientations. Every time we go, we feel rejuvenated and it is just the type of community we'd be proud to expose Griffin to. We'll keep you guys posted on the details!

1 comment:

  1. Sometimes they are sensitive to what you are eating. I was told that dairy is the first thing to eliminate from your diet if the baby seems really irritable and gassy. Also, is he spitting up a lot, he could have acid reflux.

    Hang in there, Margot

    ReplyDelete