Sunday, January 1, 2012

Happy New Year!!

While I had high hopes for a really well thought out blog post this morning, I got much too little sleep last night and I am STRUGGLING. Two cups of coffee and several hours later and I'm still barely functional.

Yesterday was a great last day of 2011 though. The boys and I had lots of fun playing at home. Later we went to lunch at the Buffalo Rose, one of Golden's oldest storefronts. It has a bit of a stigma for being a biker bar, but we pass by it all the time and it looks awesome. My boss actually took my co-worker and I to lunch there a few months ago and I LOVED it! It is actually really nice inside and the food is great. So Drew wanted to check it out. I think it's going to be our new "corner place".




After we put Griffin to bed that evening, Drew and I had our own little New Years Eve party. We had a late dinner of various appetizers (spanakopita, potstickers, little specialty pizzas, etc) and we each got to pick out a movie.
I chose Midnight in Paris and Drew chose Fright Night. It was a really fun way to spend the evening. We finished up our viewing just in time for the countdown and a champagne toast at midnight.
Going to bed at 12:15 would have been rough enough (we are officially old AND parents- I barely even see 10 anymore) but Griffin woke up screaming at 2:30. I'm not sure if he is teething or what, but he has been sleeping horribly lately. Then he was up for good around 5:30. Drew and I wanted to DIE. BUT let me just tell you what an amazing husband I have. After a half hour or so of unsuccessfully trying to convince Griffin to just sit quietly in bed with us, Drew took him downstairs to play and let me  sleep for an hour! While I am still exhausted, that was pure bliss & I NEEDED it. So he's pretty much the best person ever. I got up & made everyone a nice big breakfast, but I will really pay him back later when we go to the Bronco game! I'm sure I will be primary caregiver there. Should be interesting.

So we will watch some live football from the nosebleeds this afternoon. I PRAY Griffin enjoys it & doesnt freak out. This means SO MUCH to Drew. At least the weather looks nice! After that, we will have our traditional New Years Day dinner of pork roast and sauerkraut.

And now for my resolutions (or experiences, as Cory pointed out). I write a set every year and this is the part I was hoping would be more thought out, but here we go anyway.

1. become healthier. Drew and I have both gained weight this year, though this isnt really about losing a certain number of pounds or fitting into skinny jeans. It's more that I want our bodies to be strong, our hearts to be healthy, and our minds to be clear. All those things are harder when you're carrying around extra bulk. Not to mention the loss of self esteem that goes with feeling that you just dont look how you think you should- and again, that isnt about vanity, but about health. I dont think I look healthy with a spare tire around my waist, and I cant stop thinking about that as I get dressed or take a shower or see a particularly unflattering picture. So Drew and I have decided to eat better and be more active. On nice nights, we will go for a family walk after dinner. On snowy nights, we will play with the Kinect. I have also decided that I want to train for a 5k10k and then a half marathon! I've said that before, but one year I broke my foot, then I got pregnant... so I'm hoping that this year, life doesnt get in the way. We also want to climb a 14er this year! So those are fun goals that I'm hoping will keep us active and healthier! It will also allow Drew and I to spend more quality time together! I also came across the 28 Day Challenge while at Whole Foods the other day. While it seems like a lot of common sense eating information, I am hoping getting a personalized diet plan and e-mails will keep me focused and on track. It starts out with a pretty in-depth questionnaire so they can make sure to tailor specifically to you! AND as they say, after 21 days, routine becomes habit!

2. cook and eat better. This is tied really closely to #1, but in ways I do think it's separate. I feel like even though we have cut WAY down on eating out, we still do it too often. And when we do cook at home, I am still occasionally really reliant on convenience foods like boxed macaroni & cheese, taco kits, frozen pizza, or canned sauces. I want to slow down and make more from scratch. I want to make sure we are all being nourished properly and that we are taking time with our food, appreciating the ingredients and the time it takes as much as the flavor. I am hoping this will instill a good relationship with food in Griffin and I'm hoping the "slowing down" extends to our family life too- that we appreciate the time we have together instead of taking so much of it for granted.

3. be more present. Again, I think these are all tied together, but I really want the three of us to be more available to each other. I feel like we get so caught up in "life" that we forget how to live. I really want us to spend far less time with electronics (phones, ipods, video games) and even daily tasks and carve out time for each other. I cant tell you how many times I've felt guilty because I thought I should have played with Griffin more that day... well, why dont I just do it? The dishes will be there tomorrow, but he is only this age once. There is no excuse.

4. make sure I have a creative outlet. Whether this is crafting, writing, or daydreaming, I need to make sure that I allow myself space to feed my soul. This blog will actually be taking a major shift in the coming days and weeks, but I also want to set up a dedicated writing and crafting space for myself in the guest bedroom. I ADORED making the Christmas presents I made this year- they made me so happy. I need that kind of outlet!

So there they are- four good ones. And in telling you, I'm keeping myself accountable! I also plan on checking in every month to see how things are going. And now I'm off to watch some football. Happy 2012!!


No comments:

Post a Comment