Tuesday, October 1, 2013

To Miss Evelyn Matilda on the Occasion of her Half Birthday

the day we met

Dear Evvie-

I can hardly believe that you've been with us for 6 months. In so many ways it seems like it was just yesterday that your bright light entered our lives. But you were such a perfect, instant fit that in many ways it seems like you've just always somehow been here.

You are nothing short of amazing. You have the power to improve my mood with a smile, and you do so often. Your smiles are special though. Epic. Golden. I've never experienced a baby so small with a heart so big. You smile because you're happy and you want to share. It is a wonder to behold.

wearing one Very Special hat
You are amazingly even tempered, gentle and quiet. You always have been. Your very presence is calming and soothing. Your brother is a bit more hot headed, but even he will sometimes simmer down once he sees you- so peaceful, so serene.

Speaking of your brother, he adores you. From the second he saw you, he was absolutely smitten. The second you wake up, he scrambles downstairs with me to make sure he's the first person to kiss you good morning. He hugs you, holds your hand and cuddles you every chance he gets. He shows you off to all of his friends at school, but makes sure NO ONE is allowed to touch you except for your family and teachers. He shares his toys (which you happily stick in your mouth) and he treasures the nights we read stories to both of you at the same time.  You have made his world better in ways that your dad and I never could on our own.

my two favorites
But he makes your life happier too. While your dad and I can occasionally get a giggle out of you, Griffin can make you laugh and laugh. When you hear his voice you turn towards him with a giant grin on your face, waiting to see what he's doing. And no matter how long and uncomfortable his hugs may be, you never cry. You're always perfectly happy to participate.

Just like your brother, you LOVE bath time. Kicking around in the tub is one of your favorite things on earth. It is also when your girly side comes out since you have adored having your hair washed since the day you were born. I wonder sometimes if you two will be swimmers, or just very, very clean.

happy dance
You love sitting up on your own, snuggling with your family, having your diaper changed, and oatmeal. You're not a fan of being alone, having your nails trimmed, and most bottles. You give the best baby hugs I have ever gotten. You are teacher's pet at school and you get shown off to anyone who enters the room. You have the most incredible big blue eyes that even random people on the street will comment on. You are gorgeous and inspiring and loved.

you actually look like a few baby pictures of me in this one! the first time I've noticed a resemblance! (maybe it's the sullen, far away look. Ha!)
I call you Sweet Pea. Daddy calls you Princess. Griffin calls you Little Feets. But you are the lady of our lives, the perfect addition, a truly beautiful soul. We are all so lucky that we get to have you. I hope we make you just as proud.

6 months old.
I love you and Griffin more than anything in this entire world. You are the two best things that ever happened to me. As tired and as stressed as we've been since the two of you came into our lives, we've never been happier or more full. Our hearts nearly burst with love. THAT is what life is about.

love, mama

No comments:

Post a Comment