Sunday, December 12, 2010

not quite Christmas...

We are the proud new patients of a pediatrician! Well, I guess I should say Griffin is. But I am VERY excited and feel like a huge weight has been lifted from my shoulders. The doctor I met with is young but very experienced, shares our philosophies on things like vaccinations (we WILL vaccinate, but with an open dialogue), antibiotics (not unless absolutely necessary), holistic approaches (i.e. lifestyle and nutrition can be just as important as "medicine"), and breastfeeding (it is the best possible option, especially up until 6 months, but if it doesn't work out, it doesn't work out). He is also the doctor that my mommy network ADORES so I feel really comfortable with him.

Last night we went to a party for my friend's 30th birthday and I realized that it was probably the last party we'll go to for a REALLY long time. I know that our lives won't end when Griffin is born, but they will definitely be WAY different. We'll be on an very tight budget, we'll be on a schedule (and most likely beyond exhausted), and honestly- I think it will take me awhile to be comfortable with babysitters, even if those "sitters" are close friends or family! I figure any "outings" I have in the short term after he is born will consist of short lunch or coffee trips with my girlfriends while Drew supervises Griffin. But that is ok! Drew and I talk all the time about how we've definitely lived it up and we're ready for what this change means. Especially since the "change" consists of spending all our time with this amazing tiny human we've been waiting all our lives to meet!

Today we bought some items for me to back in my hospital bag. I got a couple pairs of super comfy pajama pants- one to labor in and one for the next day. I got a nursing bra and a nursing tank top (which I found are hard to size prior to your milk actually coming in, btw), an amazingly soft and snuggly robe (Drew was adorable and INSISTED I get it for after getting out of the jacuzzi tub at the hospital), a hand held massager, and a few other things. Chances are, I'll be in such a state that I wont care about any of those things, but at least I am prepared for if and when I do!

I didn't do as much bulk cooking as I meant to today. Just a huge vat of chicken and rice soup. It will still be good to have on hand and I intend to make a batch of beef stew for freezing in the crock pot this week. Drew and I are contemplating buying a small deep freezer. I figured it would be so much easier to save leftovers or buy in bulk that way. And one day I do anticipate having a beautiful and bountiful garden and I'll need someplace to put all those gorgeous veggies! :) There are good deals on them both at Costco and Target and Drew made room in the basement for one, so we'll see. Maybe it will be our big Christmas gift to ourselves.

We saw our neighborhood holiday lighting on Friday night. We wrapped and mailed a bunch of Christmas presents yesterday and I'm shipping more tomorrow. Tomorrow afternoon is our annual catered holiday lunch and white elephant exchange. We've started our Christmas cards, we light the tree every night, and I'm coming up with cookie recipes to bake next weekend. We're also spending tonight watching Frosty the Snowman and Frosty Returns. Yet I'm just not completely in the Christmas spirit yet! I think that is largely due to the fact that it has been so unseasonably warm and sunny here lately. I know I shouldn't complain because it's actually been gorgeous, but 60 and bone dry is NOT how I picture the holidays. Drew reminded me how lucky we actually are- we haven't had to worry about me getting into an icy car accident or slipping and falling while pregnant- and those actually were big worries I had when I found out I was having a winter baby. And chances are we'll make it to the hospital and back just fine as opposed to my parents nearly 33 years ago when I was born between two blizzards! So while I do still pray for a white Christmas (at least a dusting!) I will also count my blessings. And we'll be able to tell Griffin one day how he was born during the warmest and driest winter we have experienced in Denver.

No comments:

Post a Comment