Friday, March 5, 2010

Winter Farmer's Market


The Denver area has some amazing farmers markets during the spring and summer. They are great ways to find locally grown produce, locally raised meat, and other fresh and delicious items like dairy and baked goods. It is always sad when October rolls around and it seems like it will be EONS before you'll see a fresh cherry tomato or your local baker.

But now you don't have to wait!

Denver actually has a wonderful and diverse farmers market available even in the winter. Supported by Denver Urban Homesteading, the indoor market is open Saturdays from 9-2. I just happened upon it a few months ago and am so glad that I did. In this short time, I have been able to purchase things like goat's milk hand soap, fresh eggs, raw honey, tomatoes that were frozen at their peak of sweetness, even just picked cabbage, onions, potatoes and carrots! There is something for everyone here from grass fed beef to perfectly aged cheeses. They even supply my very favorite milk (Morning Fresh Dairy) and the best mushrooms in the entire world (Hazel Dell)! On top of that, everyone I encounter is warm, friendly, and passionate about their food!

We went back this morning to see what we could find. Today Wildfire Farms was there to sell baby chicks and starter kits in conjunction with Denver Urban Homesteading's basic chicken keeping class. Drew and I would love to have an egg laying hen or two but we still need to figure out our zoning situation (not to mention whether or not our dogs would put up with it). But look how sweet they are!
It seems like more and more people have been showing up each weekend which is wonderful. It makes me so hopeful to see all the people supporting their local farmers and figuring out how to feed their families with better quality ingredients! I feel like we're all in this together. In a sappy way, I feel like I have some sort of a bond with these people on Saturday mornings.
I buy bread every week here from Styria Bakery. Many times they have INCREDIBLE pretzel bread that Drew devours half of before we even make it home. This week I bought a loaf of asiago rosemary. I can't wait to try it. I also tasted some amazing local cheese:
And then I bought a salad kit complete with cherry tomatoes and snap peas! I'm so excited- it's like a sliver of summer while there are still hints of snow on the ground. The best part is that all of these veggies were picked just hours before by Native Greens, a hydroponic farm right here in Colorado!I'm eager to start my garden again this spring. After a few failed attempts, I have a new plan and I feel confident that this year will bring a bounty. I got excited when I found these heirloom seeds:I bought a package each of Rutgers tomato, Rocky Top lettuce mix, Sugar Baby watermelon, and Danvers carrot. I can hardly wait to plant them! (and I just love the old-style charm of their packages!)

The market has also started selling Jack Rabbit Hill wines. I have had them before so I was happy to see them here! These wines are biodynamic (a type of holistic organic farming) and produced right here in Hotchkiss, Colorado. I bought a bottle of the Barn Red. (don't mind if I do!)

It was yet another successful trip to the farmers market this winter. I hope that you'll stop by too- you'll be glad that you did.

Denver Urban Homesteading Indoor Farmers' Market
200 Santa Fe Dr. Denver, CO
every Saturday 9-2
http://www.denverurbanhomesteading.com/market.htm

4 comments:

  1. This is such a useful blog! I can't wait to continue reading it! I am always looking for new sustainable, local food sources in the Denver area (since I live so close by). Great blog!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for starting this blog! I have been looking for a resource like this and great details too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, I'll have to check out this market. I'm planning my garden too!

    ReplyDelete