Tuesday, March 16, 2010

a take on shepherd's pie



Part of this blog will be recipes. I spend so much time talking about food that it seems like it would be too abstract without talking about the real application- how I eat those foods. I will be the first to admit, however, that I am no trained chef. I haven't gone to culinary school (though I wanted to), I didn't sit by my grandmother's side learning her craft (which is a shame, honestly. At least I can replicate her gravy!) But I do LOVE cooking. I adore it, actually. I hoard cookbooks, I search for new ingredients. I find peace in rhythmic chopping and peeling, I am happy when stirring. I think it's the creative side of me. I cant paint, so I cook. To me, there is beauty in the entire process. BUT the end result, obviously, is to eat. I am looking to nourish myself with something that tastes good. Sometimes I succeed, sometimes I fail. Miserably.

Tonight was not a failure night. I had some leftover mashed potatoes from another dinner and some beautiful ground bison from Rocky Plains. So shepherd's pie it was!

Ingredients:
1 lb. lean ground bison (you can also use beef!)
3 carrots, diced
1 green pepper, top & seeds removed, diced
1/2 large yellow onion, diced
3 cloves garlic, minced
apprx. 1.5 cups tomato sauce (I used Muir Glen)
1/4 tsp dried thyme
1/4 tsp dried chives
1/2 tsp Spanish sweet paprika
1/4 tsp crushed red pepper flakes
1/2 tsp garlic salt
a few grinds each of fresh sea salt and pepper
apprx. 2 c mashed potatoes (recipe follows)
1/4 c shredded cheddar cheese
1/4 c roughly chopped feta cheese (I used some of the LazEwe 2 Bar herb goat feta from In Season Local Market)

Preheat oven to 375. In a large skillet, begin browning bison over medium heat. When about half way cooked, add carrots, green pepper, onion, and garlic. Stir occasionally until bison is completely brown and vegetables have softened slightly. Drain mixture in colander and return to pan. Add tomato sauce and spices. Cook over medium-high heat, approximately 5 minutes until everything is blended and just starting to simmer. Pour mixture into ungreased 2.5 qt baking dish. Smooth mashed potatoes over the top until casserole is evenly covered. Sprinkle with cheeses and bake for about 25 minutes or until cheese is melted and casserole is bubbling. Let sit for at least 5 minutes. I served mine with a salad & some great rosemary asiago bread I bought from the farmer's market.
For the mashed potatoes:
3 large red skinned potatoes, skin on and roughly chopped (these were from In Season!)
1/4 c milk (I use Morning Fresh skim)
1/4 thinly sliced leek
1/2 tsp The Highlands Italian Cheese Sprinkle (from Savory Spice Shop)
sea salt

Add the potatoes, leeks and a grind or so of salt to a pot of water. Boil approximately 15 minutes or until potatoes are completely soft. Drain and return to pot. Add milk and seasoning. Mash and stir with a potato masher until they reach desired consistency.

Most of my spices come from Savory Spice shop. If you do not have access to the Highlands Italian Cheese Sprinkle, you can either add your own spices to taste or you can make your own cheese sprinkle!

No comments:

Post a Comment