Here is me at 34 weeks! I cant believe that its possible for me to get even bigger. I feel HUGE! But between now and our due date, I am supposed to gain another 6 pounds! Its getting harder to get dressed, get in and out of the car, and even cook (putting salmon into the broiler was comical). Luckily, it has been easier lately for me to sleep (just as breathing is getting harder). Just 6 more weeks now!This has been another busy week or so for us! I am wondering if it will continue like this straight up until the day I give birth! I hope not as I am getting REALLY TIRED. But at least school is done so that is one less thing to worry about! My degree will be certified after grades post, but the "conferral date" of my Masters will be the last day of the quarter- November 22. So technically, I have already graduated!
We toured two more daycares over the past week. The first one we were REALLY excited about. The classrooms were beautiful, the staff was really nice and well educated, they hold a "date night" once a month so parents can go out, and everything was really modern and high tech. The problem is that it is 10 minutes completely out of the way for me and their hours are crazy- 7:30 to 5:30. There is no way I'd be able to drop Griffin off and get to work on time- and even if I adjusted my hours to accommodate it, there is then no way I'd be able to pick him up without being late & paying fines every day. So that place, sadly, is out. Then this week we toured another facility which was the exact opposite. It seemed dirty, it smelled bad, they had a HUGE baby to staff ratio (more than I feel is legal...), the entrances were left wide open so anyone could wander in, and a baby was SHRIEKING the entire time we were there. We were just NOT comfortable with it. So its back to the drawing board with fingers crossed on the YMCA & the place down the street as backup. Sigh.
We also took two classes over the past week. Last week was "baby business" where we took a more comprehensive, informational tour of the facility (still adore it, by the way) and then we turn in our initial birth plan, insurance information, registration paperwork and birth certificate form. Speaking of the birth certificate form, Griffin's full name has been decided! He is officially Griffin Carlisle Keefer. Carlisle is a family name that was carried down from my mom's side of the family. It was most recently my grandfather's middle name and I feel honored to pass it on to my son. Last night we took the "labor skills" class and it was AMAZING!! It was held at the hospital but taught by a doula and was geared toward first time parents who are anticipating a labor and delivery with as little medical intervention as possible. We learned various positions that ease and even hasten delivery, pain coping techniques, relaxation techniques, and we also learned about how to advocate for ourselves and make sure we have the opportunity to have the delivery that we imagined while also being sure our babies are delivered in the safest manner possible. She used the acronym BRAIN to use as a conversation starting point if a medical practitioner wants to perform a procedure that you are not comfortable with. It stands for Benefits, Risks, Alternatives, Intuition, and does this need to happen Now. Drew was really dragging his feet on going initially, but afterwards he was really glad he went and was excited about all of the different things we learned- especially the ways he learned he'd be able to act more as my active advocate and partner, rather than just an observer!
We had another doctor appointment on Tuesday. We met with one of my regular midwives- Wendy. She was the one that I said may be "the one" and I'm even more positive now that is the case. She is just super personable without being overwhelming, she remembered everything about us, she sat and chatted with us forever, and she even hugged me when we left. She got Drew's seal of approval which means A LOT. She also said that Griffin is still looking perfect and that he's head down and ready to go! Good boy! I hope he stays that way! Though it does explain the REALLY powerful kicks to my ribs...
On Saturday, Drew and I decided to take a mini-vacation and stay overnight at the Table Mountain Inn in Golden. I bought the package which included a voucher for dinner at their lodge restaurant in July for Drew's birthday and we saved it until now to be sort if a "last getaway" before Griffin comes. The trip had its high and low points for sure. The hotel was really interesting and rustic and our room was really cozy and had great views.
In more productive news, I scheduled appointments to interview a couple of pediatricians in two weeks. They come highly recommended and they are really convenient to home so I hope one of them works out!
Tomorrow is Thanksgiving and we will spend the morning cooking and video chatting with Betsy and Guy. We'll head over to my parent's house in the afternoon where we'll eat until we're sick (I CANT WAIT) and hang out. My brother is in town and my cousin's boyfriend, Tito will be joining us. Tito is in the Army and stationed in Colorado Springs so we thought a home cooked meal would be better than staying on base. But mostly I'm excited about those Thanksgiving sides! WOOT!
I am thankful for all of you- my family and friends. We'd be nothing without your support. We love you! Enjoy your holiday!

No comments:
Post a Comment