Monday, May 17, 2010

Boulder Farmer's Market

This weekend was a busy and exhausting one. I was home so rarely that I didn't have a chance to write at all! So today I am playing catch up.

Early Saturday morning, before I realized just how hectic the weekend would be, I decided that we would have a "Boulder day". My plan was to head up, have breakfast at Lucile's and then hit the farmers market. GOOD DECISION. The morning was glorious and easily the best part of my entire weekend.

The Boulder Farmers Market is nestled at the base of the flat irons and along the Boulder Creek right in the heart of downtown. It is one of the most beautiful venues I have seen for a market and is honestly the reason I wanted to make the trip that day. Because it is still mid-May, I wasn't expecting the market to be producing much and I thought we would be more people watching and enjoying the scenery. Boy, was I wrong.

The market was packed to the gills. Somehow there seemed to be more vendors than even at the the height of summer last year! And the variety was stunning. There were farmers selling seedlings, flowers and herbs. There were local dairies like MouCo and Haystack Mountain selling cheese. There were many booths selling local pastured meat (including Wisdom's Natural Poultry!). There were several bakers including Udi's and the organic one from whom we purchased soft pretzels and a loaf of incredible toasted onion wheat bread. But the produce is what really stole the show. I could not believe what a huge selection of gorgeous seasonal vegetables there were- my expectations were beyond surpassed. Because I made a deal with myself that I will only buy what I KNOW I can use before it expires, I didn't allow myself to run wild and buy every delicious looking vegetable I saw. But we did manage to leave with an amazing bunch of purple asparagus, a bag of spicy mixed greens, and some walking onions.Unfortunately I forgot about my camera until we were well on our way to Boulder and Drew was unwilling to turn around. It is too bad because the pictures taken with my cell phone don't nearly do the market justice. I will definitely have to return once that market is in full swing with my camera in tow. The beauty and selection are just too good to pass up.
Boulder Farmers Market
13th St. between Arapahoe and Canyon, next to Central Park in Boulder
Saturdays 8am-2pm
Wednesdays 4pm-8pm

2 comments:

  1. The icicle radishes are beautiful!! Our farmers markets start up in a few weeks down here in the Springs, I can hardly wait! I too am impressed at the amount of produce they had at the market. And the meats, we don't get many meat vendors down here :( enjoy your fresh produce!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just came across your wonderful blog and am a new follower!!! We used to live south of Morrison. Miss it! Love your CO blog!!!
    - Jessica
    http://cajunlicious.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete